Forrest County Mississippi Genealogy & History Network










Forrest County, Mississippi Communities & Places


Please submit your Forrest County, Mississippi Communities & Places for researchers to share. Send your information to the Forrest County, Mississippi Genealogy & History Network at msghn@outlook.com








Bonhomie, Mississippi

(submitted by and photos by Gerald & Tammy Westmoreland)

Bonhomie, Mississippi is located on Bonhomie Road south of W.S.F. Tatum Blvd.


GPS Coordinates: 31.287120, -89.311767


google map


Bonhomie was settled in 1892 when a few French families from New Orleans arrived at this site and began farming. W.S.F. Tatum established Tatum Lumber Company here in 1915 drawing laborers and their families to the area.


Bonhomie, which means "good man" was named after Mr. Tatum. Thanks to this sawmill, Bonhomie thrived from 1915 to 1938. During its height, Bonhomie included a doctor's office, school, church, and train station.


Once the virgin forests in the area were depleted, the workers were forced to find work elsewhere, and Bonhomie became a extinct town.



Back to Forrest County Communities & Places Index








Bowie, Mississippi

(submitted by Gerald & Tammy Westmoreland)

Located six miles northwest of Hattiesburg.


GPS Coordinates: 31.393056, -89.371667


google map


Located six miles northwest of Hattiesburg, Bowie was established prior to 1880 and was named for the Bowie River. Bowie was an early Indian campsite and the name means "Big Boy."



Back to Forrest County Communities & Places Index







Brooklyn, Mississippi

(submitted by and photos by Gerald & Tammy Westmoreland)

Brooklyn, Mississippi is located in south Forrest County on Black Creek east of US Highway 49.


GPS Coordinates: 31.056678, -89.189080


google map


Brooklyn is a small unincorporated community in southern Forrest County, Mississippi. Brooklyn was settled when the Gulf & Ship Island Railroad was being built in the area. The community was originally called Bullis after one of the railroad construction engineers, but was later named Brooklyn after one of the settler families in the area. Other early family names of the area were Griffin, Martin, Holder, and Pierce.


John and Sam Perkins were wealthy landowners and early settlers in the area. They owned and operated the Perkins Mercantile Store in the settlement. They also owned and operated Perkins Ferry on Black Creek. Interestingly, Black Creek was used in these days to raft logs from the area to Pascagoula.



Back to Forrest County Communities & Places Index








Carnes, Mississippi

(submitted by Gerald & Tammy Westmoreland)

Carnes is located six miles southwest of Brooklyn.


GPS Coordinates: 30.994167, -89.246944


google map


Carnes was settled in 1905 and was once called Helena. The name was later changed to Carnes for John Carnes, an early settler of the area.



Back to Forrest County Communities & Places Index







Carterville, Mississippi

(submitted by and photos by Gerald & Tammy Westmoreland)

Located one mile south of Hattiesburg.


GPS Coordinates: 31.320000, -89.246111


google map


The community of Carterville is now a part of the City of Petal.







Back to Forrest County Communities & Places Index









Chancellor, Mississippi

(submitted by and photos by Gerald & Tammy Westmoreland)

Chancellor was located about a mile south of Brooklyn.


GPS Coordinates: 31.041944, -89.195833


google map


Chancellor was established on the Gulf & Ship Island Railroad one mile south of Brooklyn as a sawmill town and was named for the mill operator. The mill has long since been closed and the few people in that area are mostly farmers.



Back to Forrest County Communities & Places Index







Currie, Mississippi

(submitted by and photos by Gerald & Tammy Westmoreland)

Currie is located about a mile north of Brooklyn.


GPS Coordinates: 31.069722, -89.184722


google map


Currie is a farming community that was established about one mile north of Brooklyn on the Gulf & Ship Island Railroad.


It was named for a local Reverand named E. J. Currie. Forrest County Agricultural High School is located in the Currie community.



Back to Forrest County Communities & Places Index








Dragon, Mississippi

(submitted by Gerald & Tammy Westmoreland)

Dragon is located on the northern edge of Petal.


GPS Coordinates: 31.377778, -89.266389


google map


Dragon was established in 1893 as a railroad flag stop three miles northeast of Hattiesburg. Why this community started and why it was called Dragon is unknown.


G.D. Wilson was a pioneer settler in this communiity. There was once a school here named Addison School.



Back to Forrest County Communities & Places Index








Dreyfus, Mississippi

(submitted by Gerald & Tammy Westmoreland)

Dreyfus was a small settlement two miles southeast of Hattiesburg that was formed in 1901. The settlement was named for M. Dreyfus who had set up a small sawmill known as the Brookhaven Lumber Company.


In 1927 the mill closed and most residents moved away, but at that time over 200 people lived there.


In 1930 Mr. Dreyfus' sons established the Dixie Pine Products Plant which owns about 60 houses, most of which were occupied by company employees.



Back to Forrest County Communities & Places Index








Enon, Mississippi

(submitted by Gerald & Tammy Westmoreland)

The Enon Community, located southeast of Hattiesburg, was one of the pioneer settlements of the county. It was settled about 1852 and named for a town in Palestine. In the early days this was a cattle-raising and farming area with Mobile, AL and Pass Christian serving as trading centers.


Throuugh the influence of John McCallum, Gabriel Burkett, and others, a school and church was organized which drew other settlers across the Leaf River to settle at Enon which was then known as Enon Landing.



Back to Forrest County Communities & Places Index








Epps, Mississippi

(submitted by Gerald & Tammy Westmoreland)

Located about three miles south of McLaurin.


GPS Coordinates: 31.131111, -89.195833


google map


Epps was a farming community formed on the G & S I Railroad about three miles south of McLaurin and located on the edge of the DeSoto National Forest.



Back to Forrest County Communities & Places Index








Faulkner, Mississippi

(submitted by Gerald & Tammy Westmoreland)

Located three miles southeast of Hattiesburg.


Faulkner was never more than a gravel pit that had a few employees living around it.


It was named for L.E. Faulkner, the man who opened and owned the gravel pit.



Back to Forrest County Communities & Places Index








Fruitland Park, Mississippi

(submitted by Gerald & Tammy Westmoreland)

Located four miles south of Maxie near the Stone County line.


GPS Coordinates: 30.916111, -89.171111


google map


The site of this community was originally owned by the J.E. North Lumber Company. In 1913 the site was purchased by the F.B. Mills Farm Company of Syracuse, New York for the purpose of growing figs on a commercial basis. Although the project failed, others were drawn here and the area developed into a fruit and truck farm center. Northern settlers were induced to come here and a town was laid out. A hotel known as the F.B. Mills Farm Hotel was built but was later relaced by the B.C. Hart home.


Among the residents who came here from the north to live were Mr. and Mrs. John A. Nicholson, who were of unusual personality adding greatly to the development of the communiy. Mr. Nicholson, who served as postmaster, possessed a silver medal which had been presented to him for service in the Boer War of 1901. He had served in an honor guard during the ceremony of the crowning of King Edward, Prince of Wales.



Back to Forrest County Communities & Places Index







Glendale, Mississippi

(submitted by and photos by Gerald & Tammy Westmoreland)

Located on the west side of Petal.


GPS Coordinates: 31.364722, -89.306111


google map


Glendale was originally known as Hickory Grove and is located about two miles north of Hattiesburg.


Hickory Grove was settled by Perry Jones, better known as "Pessie Jones," who sold this property to Sam C. Eaton about 1890. Easton in turn sold most of the property to the NO & NE Railroad who opened a gravel mining business and gravelled the whole length of the railroad from these mines."


About 1910 the name of the place was changed to Glendale and has been so known since that time.



Back to Forrest County Communities & Places Index







Harvey, Mississippi

(submitted by Gerald & Tammy Westmoreland)

Located within the ciry limits of south Petal.


GPS Coordinates: 31.331389, -89.262222


google map


Harvey, now within the city limits of Petal, started as a sawmill in 1889, which it's said caused Petal to be settled.


The place was not named until 1900 when the Harvey Chappel family settled here.



Back to Forrest County Communities & Places Index







Hattiesburg, Mississippi

(submitted by and photos by Gerald & Tammy Westmoreland)

Hattiesburg is located on US Hwy 49 about halfway between Jackson and Mobile in the northern part of Forrest County.


GPS Coordinates: 31.316382, -89.301603


google map


The area that would eventually become Hattiesburg was occupied by the Choctaw Native Americans, who had been in the region for hundreds of years. Their indigenous ancestors had communities for thousands of years before that.


During European colonization, this area was first claimed by the French. Between 1763 and 1783 the area that is currently Hattiesburg fell under the jurisdiction of the colony of British West Florida. After the United States gained its independence, Great Britain ceded this and other areas to it after 1783. The United States gained a cession of lands from the Choctaw and Chickasaw under the terms of the Treaty of Mount Dexter in 1805. After the treaty was ratified, European-American settlers began to move into the area.


In the 1830s, the Choctaw and Chickasaw were forcibly removed by United States forces by treaties authorized by the Indian Removal Act, which sought to relocate the Five Civilized Tribes from the Southeast to west of the Mississippi River. They and their slaves were moved to Indian Territory in today's Kansas and Oklahoma. Click here to read more and see more photos.....



Back to Forrest County Communities & Places Index







Hickory Grove, Mississippi

(submitted by and photos by Gerald & Tammy Westmoreland)

Now known as Glendale and located on the west side of Petal.


GPS Coordinates: 31.364722, -89.306111


google map


Hickory Grove is located about two miles north of Hattiesburg and is now known as Glendale.


Hickory Grove was settled by Perry Jones, better known as "Pessie Jones," who sold this property to Sam C. Eaton about 1890. Easton in turn sold most of the property to the NO & NE Railroad who opened a gravel mining business and gravelled the whole length of the railroad from these mines."


About 1910 the name of the place was changed to Glendale and has been so known since that time.



Back to Forrest County Communities & Places Index








Kern, Mississippi

(submitted by Gerald & Tammy Westmoreland)

Located three miles south of Hattiesburg.


Kern was never a town and not much of a community. It was never much more than a passing siding of the G&SI Railroad three miles south of Hattiesburg.



Back to Forrest County Communities & Places Index








Mammoth Springs, Mississippi

(submitted by Gerald & Tammy Westmoreland)

Located within the city limits in the northeast part of Hattiesburg.


GPS Coordinates: 31.374836, -89.356230


google map


Located five miles northwest of downtown Hattiesburg, Mammoth Springs were discovered in 1862 by traders and settlers. The waters were so pure and healing that they becamed known over a large area for their medicinal qualities.


About 1897 a Dr. Broomfield established a health resort at the springs and people came from the surrounding towns to take advantage of the heaing waters. The springs were so named by Dr. Broomfield for the strong flow of water from them.



Back to Forrest County Communities & Places Index








Maxie, Mississippi

(submitted by Gerald & Tammy Westmoreland)

Located off US Hwy 49 about 3 miles north of the Stone County line.


GPS Coordinates: Located off US Hwy 49 about 3 miles north of the Stone County line.


google map


The town site being originally selected for its abundant supply of water, Maxie, located about seven miles south of Brooklyn was settled in 1896 and called Hog Pen Branch. The name was changed to Maxie in 1910 for the wife of a settler.


A sawmill was built in 1922 and operated for several years but after the timber had been cut the mill moved, and the people turned to farming.



Back to Forrest County Communities & Places Index








Maybank, Mississippi

(submitted by Gerald & Tammy Westmoreland)

Located eight miles northwest of Hattiesburg.


GPS Coordinates: 31.407778, -89.369722


google map


Maybank, originally called Monroe, was settled in 1817 by Benjamin Rawls. In 1883 Rawls' son gave the G&SI Railroad a right-of-way through his property in exchange for a station which was called Maybank.



Back to Forrest County Communities & Places Index







McCallum, Mississippi

(submitted by and photos by Gerald & Tammy Westmoreland)

Located just outside the Hattiesburg city limits to the southeast.


GPS Coordinates: 31.237778, -89.212500


google map


Located nine miles southeast of Hattiesburg, McCallum was settled in 1818 and named for John McCallum, an early settler.


In the early days the settlers carried their wares and livestock to Mobile and Pass Christian to trade for merchandise and supplies. They often carried as many as 100 turkeys and allowed themn to roost in the trees at night during their journey.


Early family names included Heartfield, McCallum, Thompson, and Carter. John McCallum Carter operated the first store and along with his brother carried on extensive sawmill operations.



Back to Forrest County Communities & Places Index







McLaurin, Mississippi

(submitted by and photos by Gerald & Tammy Westmoreland)

Located about thirteen miles southeast of Hattiesburg.


GPS Coordinates: 31.168056, -89.217222


google map


McLaurin, located about thirteen miles southeast of Hattiesburg was named for General McLaurin, first President of the G&SI Railroad.


At one time McLaurin was the site of the largest sawmill in the county. It later became a valuable shipping point for masonite and pulp wood. Jim Barron who is buried in the McLaurin Cemetery, operated the first mill in this area.


Before the coming of the railroad almost all the land in this section was homesteaded by S.D. Patrick.



Back to Forrest County Communities & Places Index







Morriston, Mississippi

(submitted by and photos by Gerald & Tammy Westmoreland)

Morriston is located in the northeast corner of Forrest County.


GPS Coordinates: 31.428458, -89.168625


google map


Morriston Post Office - Established here in what was then Perry County on February 8, 1887, with D.L. Carter as the first Postmaster.


Discontinued on September 11, 1893, but reestablished on January 10, 1894, with J.S. Doyle as Postmaster.


Named for F.M. Morris, who was Postmaster during the late 1890s. Moved to Hattiesburg on August 15, 1906.



Back to Forrest County Communities & Places Index








Myers, Mississippi

(submitted by Gerald & Tammy Westmoreland)

Located three miles south of Hattiesburg.


Myers was established as a sawmill which operated from 1915 until 1930. The place was named for W.S. Myers who operated the mill.



Back to Forrest County Communities & Places Index








Newco, Mississippi

(submitted by Gerald & Tammy Westmoreland)

Located four miles west of Maxie.


Newco is the site of an abandoned naval store plant west of Maxie. The place was named for the Newton Naval Store Company who built a turpentine plant here in 1923 and became extinct in 1937.



Back to Forrest County Communities & Places Index







Palmer's Crossing, Mississippi

(submitted by and photos by Gerald & Tammy Westmoreland)

Located within the city limits of southeast Hattiesburg.


GPS Coordinates: 31.282500, -89.275556


google map


Palmer's Crossing, or Palmer, located about three miles south of downtown Hattiesburg, was established in 1896 as practically an all Negro settlement. The settlement was named for Judge Palmer, a white citizen who lived in the community.


In the 1920's a school was built here by the Sears Roebuck Companu as a sample of the type school building they were offering for sale. The school was donated by Sears and served both Palmer's Crossing and Myers.



Back to Forrest County Communities & Places Index







Petal, Mississippi

(submitted by and photos by Gerald & Tammy Westmoreland)

Located on the northeastern city limits of Hattiesburg.


GPS Coordinates: 31.346667, -89.260000


google map


The cities of Petal and Hattiesubrg are separated by the Leaf River. Petal was settled in 1903, and named for Petal Polk, the daughter of the first postmaster of Petal. Petal was incorporated on April 4, 1974.


Other early families in the area were: Chappel, Grantham, and McKinnis. Prominent names who aided in the development of the community were: Wilson, Carley, Pace, Breland, and Odom.



Back to Forrest County Communities & Places Index







Pistol Ridge

(submitted by and photos by Gerald & Tammy Westmoreland)

Located about 23 miles southwest of Hattiesburg.


GPS Coordinates: 31.003333, -89.318056


google map


The Pistol Ridge community supposedly got its name from early feuds and gun battles between residents of the area, and unless an outsider had important business in the area he steered clear of the place. It was told that years ago representatives from the U.S. Department of Entomology drove through Pistol Ridge on a survey and the residents, thinking they were revenue agents, fired on them.


Pistol Ridge was known far and wide for its manufacture of moonshine whiskey. Stories were told how even little boys as young as eight years old would hold contests to see who could spit tobacco juice the farthest and drink the most corn whiskey.



Back to Forrest County Communities & Places Index







Ragland, Mississippi

(submitted by and photos by Gerald & Tammy Westmoreland)

Located thirteen miles southeast of Hattiesburg.


GPS Coordinates: 31.219167, -89.173611


google map


Ragland was settled about 1810 and was named after its first settler. Like many early settlements in the state, Ragland was a sawmill community.






Back to Forrest County Communities & Places Index







Rawls' Springs, Mississippi

(submitted by and photos by Gerald & Tammy Westmoreland)

Located three miles northwest of Hattiesburg.


GPS Coordinates: 31.380833, -89.371389


google map


Rawls' Springs was settled in 1841 and named for Benjamin Rawls, an early settler who lived here for more than sixty years. The names of other early settlers were: Ebeneezer Grantham, M.M. Sexton, S.P. "Haley" Rawls, and Cecil McLeod.


The springs were included in a land grant to Ebeneezer Grantham in 1841 and later became the property of M.M. Sexton.


The springs were discovered by Choctaw Indians in the early 1800's when this site was used as a hunting area. The water is said to possess minerals which are helpful for any form of kidney or blood ailment. The springs have been reccomended to health seekers by many doctors.



Back to Forrest County Communities & Places Index







Riverside, Mississippi

(submitted by and photos by Gerald & Tammy Westmoreland)

Located in the northwest portion of the city three miles northwest of downtown Hattiesburg.


GPS Coordinates: 31.354167, -89.331667


google map


Inside the city limits of the northwest portion of Hattiesburg, Riverside was settled when the first houses were built here in 1848. The Jones family is said to have been the first white settlers in the area. The place is named for its location on the Bouie River.



Back to Forrest County Communities & Places Index








Rozine, Mississippi

(submitted by Gerald & Tammy Westmoreland)

Located about two miles north of Brooklyn.


GPS Coordinates: 31.083889, -89.187500


google map


Rozine is an abandoned sawmill site about two miles north of the old site of Newco. It came into being when two brothers named carruth came here from Alabama in 1900 and established a sawmill. The sawmill village was named for the wife of one of the brothers, but became extinct when the sawmill closed in 1915.



Back to Forrest County Communities & Places Index








Skull Fork, Mississippi

(submitted by Gerald & Tammy Westmoreland)

Skull Fork was a small community near Carnes who got its name from a fight between two drunken residents.


These two angry residents met at the fork of a road that ran throough the community and during the fight one broke the other's skull with a whiskey bottle.



Back to Forrest County Communities & Places Index








Smoky Hollow, Mississippi

(submitted by Gerald & Tammy Westmoreland)

Smoky Hollow was a small community that was located near Carnes.


This place was a nest for bootleggers. It was the smoke from their stills that constantly hovered over the swamp that caused the place to have the name Smoky Hollow.



Back to Forrest County Communities & Places Index







Tallahala, Mississippi

(submitted by and photos by Gerald & Tammy Westmoreland)

Located about 7 miles northeast of Petal.


GPS Coordinates: 31.427500, -89.148611


google map


Tallahala is a long abandoned sawmill site which was located about 9 miles northeast of downtown Hattiesburg. The site was established in 1898 and named for its location on Tallahala Creek.





Back to Forrest County Communities & Places Index








Tracy, Mississippi

(submitted by Gerald & Tammy Westmoreland)

Located twenty-one miles due south of downtown Hattiesburg.


GPS Coordinates: 31.001111, -89.289444


google map


Tracy is another abandoned sawmill village and was located one mile west of Carnes.


The village was established in 1912 by J.C. Tracey, and was built on the site of the Tracy Lumber Company. In 1920 the timber had been exhausted and the mill ceased operations and Tracy became extinct.



Back to Forrest County Communities & Places Index








Veneer, Mississippi

(submitted by Gerald & Tammy Westmoreland)

Located three miles southeast of downtown Hattiesburg.


Veneer is yet another abadoned sawmill site as is so common in the Piney Woods region of the state.


At one time a great amount of Tupelo Gum wood was shipped to this facility which after processing was shipped to various parts of the U.S. to be used as veneer wood, thus the name.



Back to Forrest County Communities & Places Index








Yeaton, Mississippi

(submitted by Gerald & Tammy Westmoreland)

Located two miles southwest of Brooklyn.


Yeaton, is also an abandoned sawmill site established in 1883 and named for an agent with the G&SI Railroad.


After the timber was depleted the land was bought for the development of the Tung Oil industry, and a portion of it was used as a CCC camp.



Back to Forrest County Communities & Places Index